Bright yellow, bold green and sea blue are a few of the colors that give these bathrooms pizazz.
While bathrooms decked out in neutrals such as black, white, gray and taupe are trending these days, plenty of spaces are taking a different approach and inserting a shot of color into the bathroom.
There are many examples among the 50 most popular new bathroom photos uploaded to Houzz from April through June this year, as measured by the number of people who saved them to ideabooks. Here are nine bathrooms with a hit of color — from a single shot of a bold hue to multiple colors applied in this small space.
1. Yellow and gray. This bathroom marries the of-the-moment neutral palette of gray, wood and Carrara marble with an unexpected shock: happy yellow cabinetry. The contrast between the centered pulls on the drawers and the offset one for the center door panel gives this piece a quirky look.
Vanity: custom by Joe Worland of H & J Cabinets; cabinet hardware: Flute reveal knob, Rocky Mountain Hardware; mirror: custom by Bonesteel Trout Hall; light fixtures: Small Bluff City pendants, Design Within Reach; faucet: Waterworks; tile and countertop material: Concept Studio
2. Watery blue. The blue and green tile paving the walls of this shower reflect its location, a marina dock in the seaside town of Sausalito, California. Multilevel glazing gives the tiles their rich variation.
3. Orange alert. Colorful blue, orange and yellow wallpaper lend a tailored look to this farmhouse-style bathroom designed by Alison Kandler, but the bright clawfoot tub is what draws the eye. A checkered, painted wood floor in aqua and avocado green balances out the busy wallpaper.
Wallpaper: Galbraith & Paul
4. Fuchsia funs it up. A bathroom finished in classic gray and white gets added interest from the fuchsia rug, hand towel and orchid. Note in the reflection of the mirror that the fuchsia complements the accent color in the adjacent master bedroom.
Floor: French Quarter Azul stone, Materials Marketing; bathtub, Michelangelo, Hydro Systems, Rampart Supply; rug: Surya; cabinet hardware: Martello collection, Schaub & Co.
5. Green energy. Everything in this bathroom in an Atlanta townhouse is understated except for the vanity — and, of course, the cheeky bath mat.
Vanity: refinished in milk paint; countertop: acrylic blend cement, custom
6. Blue skies ahead. A bright blue ceiling sets a cheery mood for this San Antonio bathroom designed by Shea Pumarejo of Younique Designs for two growing teenage boys. The colorful backsplash is composed of wooden tiles that mirror the tailored farmhouse feel of the shiplap walls.
Vanity: Pottery Barn; sconce and mirrors: Restoration Hardware; wood tile backsplash: Moonish
7. Unabashed pink and blue. Textured blue wall tile pairs with hexagonal floor tile in a similar tone, creating a soft blue bathroom oasis in the 2017 Pasadena Showcase House. In this light, the walls read a pale blush color. The window treatments add a sweet note to the room.
8. Nautical time. This children’s bath designed by Rhona Chartouni of Eclipse Designs has a nautical blue and white theme, with stripes made up of hexagonal tiles that should still be appealing as the children get older.
9. Deep teal accent wall. This bathroom designed by SGS International, also in the Pasadena Showcase House, has many of the elements popular in neutral bathrooms today: a marble vanity, faux wood tile accents, a chevron pattern and hexagonal tiles. But the dark teal accent wall to the left of the vanity sets this space apart from so many bathrooms that stick with a color palette of pure neutrals.
Shower and sink faucets and accessories: Newport Brass; tile and countertop: Walker Zanger; pendant lights: Rejuvenation; wall sconce and mirror: CB2; toilet: Toto